We’re back for the last set of questions for Ape House!
1. How would you describe the relationship between John and Isabel?
I would describe them as kindred spirits. John was definitely attracted to Isabel, but I think that might have been because he saw something in her that he could relate to. I was glad that their relationship stayed platonic.
2. What was your reaction to finding out Peter’s role in the explosion and capture of the apes?
I wasn’t surprised. Isabel’s suspicion of him in the very beginning indicated that he wasn’t a nice guy.
3. Both John and Amanda ended up achieving their professional goals. Amanda ended up getting pregnant and John is excited about having a baby. Do you think this is the end to their problems? Can John and Amanda be happy?
I don’t believe that something like success in your career can ever mean the end of your problems. People and relationships have ups and downs. Sometimes life events can cue these periods, but in general, I think that it takes work to be happy. What John and Amanda went through seems relatively normal to me, and while hopefully they won’t have rough periods as severe and prolonged as this one, I think they can still have more over the course of their life and consider their relationship healthy and happy overall.
4. What did you find to be the most intriguing about the bonobos?
I though their ability to communicate was so interesting. The issue of their rights was really interesting to me, as they clearly demonstrated that they had feelings and thoughts very similar humans.
5. Which character did you enjoy reading about the most?
I liked reading about John the most. I thought he was the easiest to relate to. Even though I liked Celia and Isabel, they seemed more eccentric to me.
6. Was the ending what you expected? Did things resolve the way you thought they would?
I was honestly wasn’t expecting the ending to be as happy with John and Amanda’s relationship, so I was pleasantly surprised. I wasn’t surprised that the apes were rescued, but I thought it was a nice touch that Gary designed their new habitat in Hawaii and that he and Isabel seemed to be hitting it off.
7. And finally, any overall thoughts or feelings that these questions haven’t addressed? How would you rate this book for others? Any part that you loved? Anything you hated? SHARE!
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I gave it 3 stars on Goodreads. The ending really clinched it for me; there were several dark moments in the book so I was glad that it ended on a happy note. The author had a lot of different story lines that I thought she would tie up a little more, but in the end, I think it was okay that she didn’t. I felt like she kept hinting at Isabel’s back story, and I would have liked to have known a little more about that. I liked how she showed John’s changing attitude towards having children, even though it seemed like Amanda’s desire to have children might have been for the wrong reasons at first.
I’m excited to find out what we’ll be reading next!