This summer has completely flown by in a haze of wedding crafts and vendor coordination. Each day I feel like the hours just slip through my fingers.
Today is my last day of swim practice. It feels like a little bit of a shock because I cannot believe the season is over. I thought I would make a list of the things I will miss and the things I won’t miss.
I won’t miss:
- Putting in lane lines
- Bad days at practice where no one seems to be listening
- Disgruntled parents
- Scratching relays because one kid doesn’t show up
- Cold days at the pool when all the kids are whining at me with their blue lips
- Fixing goggles
I will miss:
- Teaching kids 1-on-1 how to do strokes
- Demonstrating strokes to a bunch of little guys sitting in a row on the pool deck
- The inevitably funny and cute things kids say
- Watching the sun set on the golf course
- Doing the team cheer with my co-coach, and getting to see the excitement on the kids’ faces as they cheer
- Watching relays
- Awesome parents
- The swimmers- I’ve been coaching for 5 years, so I’ve known many of them for that long!
So today is kind of the end of an era for me. This is the longest job I’ve ever had and it’s been a great one. I’ve been with this swim team since I was 8, and I can’t imagine a summer without it. All that is left is practice today and one very long, very hot swim meet tomorrow.
Leave a Reply